HOME  :: WHAT'S NEW :: PROJECTS :: SAILING :: MAINTENANCE :: RESOURCES  
  SAILING LOGS :: EQUIPMENT AND STORAGE :: MISCELLANY  


Sailing Log:  5/29/05


The morning started out somewhat overcast, but the weather was pleasantly benign and, at least by comparison, warm (60).  I headed out to the boat to take care of a few projects, not really expecting to sail.


It was flat calm, a pleasant change after last week's lousy winds and rain, and presently the sun broke through, dramatically raising the temperature.  After a few hours, during which I took care of several small projects and maintenance, a light southerly breeze came up around noon; it seemed the perfect time for a first sail.  I noted to myself how pathetic it was that my first sail wasn't until May 29...a dismal record.

With lots of winter sticks still in the water and still-fluky winds, I decided to start the engine and have it in reserve while I sailed off the mooring.  Fortunately, I didn't need it, but given the sluggishness of the boat when she initially gets under sail, it seemed a prudent decision.  The winds were about 5-8 knots--very relaxing and pleasant.  I headed outside of Clapboard island on starboard tack.

Outside, the winds were briefly stronger; I saw 17 knots apparent at one point.  Perfect.  The boat felt good, with minimal weather helm; I had adjusted the jumpers more tightly this year which, coupled with last year's adjustment of the mast rake forward, had actually caused some difficulties in securing the backstay during the mast stepping.



Almost immediately, though, I thought I heard a distant rumble of thunder.  Some showery-looking clouds back over the land mass, which had been present during the morning, suddenly seemed more ominous.  I didn't see any immediate signs of hazardous weather, so I continued, but the distant rumbles became more frequent, and soon I knew I wasn't hearing things.  It wasn't long before the sky to the west began to darken, so I decided to bear off and head immediately to the southern tip of Clapboard and back to the mooring, rather than continue on towards Portland as I had intended.

I sailed back to just outside the anchorage, all the while keeping a wary eye on the weather.  We were clearly going to get some weather, at least nearby, and the skies continued to darken.  I felt I had made the right decision.  Outside the anchorage, I dropped the main, loving my new lazy jacks, and motored into the mooring; I chose not to sail in because I had lost my mast buoy from the mooring lines during the storms, and it's just that much more difficult to sail in when using a boathook (especially the first time of the year).  Also, my mooring, which had been stretched downwind by the storm winds, was now very close to a neighboring boat that had not been on the mooring during the storm, meaning that the two moorings were, for now, artificially close.

Back on the mooring, I put the boat away and debated whether to head to shore or stay on board through the approaching storm.  I eventually decided to head ashore, as the skies were becoming quite black.

On the way in in the launch, the blackness reached its peak, but no rain fell.  Shortly after arriving ashore, the character of the sky changed for the better, and no severe storm passed through, though moderate rain showers followed.

 


Glissando, Pearson  Triton #381
www.triton381.com 

We recommend viewing this site with your screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 or larger.  Problems?  Email the webmaster.

1999-2014 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.  No duplication of any portion of this website allowed without express permission.  Permission may be obtained by emailing the webmaster.